“Many tasks commonly performed by marketers are being augmented by machine learning, deep learning and cognitive computing” (Introducing the Marketing Artificial Intelligence Institute)
There’s a great fit between this week’s #HITSM (AI and Machine Learning in Healthcare, hosted by @AmyinMaine and @HBI_Solutions) and next week’s #HITMC (Make the Most of the Healthcare IT Marketing and PR Conference) tweet chats! If I know @ShahidNShah and @Techguy, there will be lots of discussion about this intersection at the HITMC conference itself (May 5-7). Therefore I combined topics and adapted HITSM topics to apply to marketing health IT.
One of my degrees is a masters in Intelligence Systems (half AI and half cognitive science). I’m old enough to have lived through a previous AI hype cycle and then AI winter due to disappointment with results compared to expectations (but also see AI Winter Isn’t Coming). Since I spend so much time marketing health workflow IT I’ve naturally thought about how AI, ML, HIT marketing, and workflow all fit together.
Of the top of my head (helped by a quick Google search, and especially 15 Examples of Artificial Intelligence in Marketing) here’s a non-exhaustive list of ways AI and ML can help (HIT) marketing.
- Recommendations and content curation (Netflix already does this, marketing automation systems are starting to do so, imagine using similar to chose different health IT marketing news letters to different subscribers)
- Intelligent search engines (Just think what search engines that actually understand what they read on the web will do for both SEO and health IT conference web content. For example, I’d like to search all and only HIMSS18 exhibitors for workflow related content, and to have that search engine understand web site content regardless of whether the string “workflow” actually appears on a webpage)
- Smart social sentiment analysis (understand not just what folks are saying about your brand, but also how they feel…, this is getting awfully close to journey mapping…)
- Product pricing (Price is one of the classic Ps of the hoary old, what if you could truly optimize your prices relative to profit … and in realtime! Price Optimisation Using Machine Learning)
- Predictive customer service (imagine if you could predict complaints on social media and provision necessary resources to instantly solve a customer’s problem, and just think of their reactions on social media)
- Ad targeting (“machine learning helps to increase the likelihood a user will click”, no brainer!)
- Chatbots and conversational UIs (guess what, your brand is going to become a personality that can actually talk to customers and potential customers, kind of like a virtually intelligent Flo from the Progressive insurance commercials! )
- Customer segmentation (obvious relevance to patient risk segmentation, here artificial intelligence, machine learning, and marketing combine to aid population health management!)
- Content generation/marketing (yes, computers now write news articles and blog posts… therefore computers will, if not already do, write health IT news and blog post marketing content).
“Have a question about a particular insurance package? Flo can answer your question. Want to get price comparisons between Progressive and Geico? Again, Flo can help, with the same sassy personality that the consumer has come to expect when thinking about the Progressive brand. This will extend throughout the entire customer journey, starting from the top of the funnel with marketing campaigns (TV commercials, digital advertising), continuing to the sale of product (ecommerce checkout, reducing shopping cart abandonment), and maintaining the customer relationship through support (automating call center inquiries), which ultimately comes full circle and leads into the next customer journey cycle.” (The 200 billion dollar chatbot disruption: part two)
- “2017 will be the year of the bot” (bots won’t replace websites, they’ll power them)
- “The “marketing conversation” will become a human-machine conversation” (see above comments about conversational UIs)
- “AI will accelerate marketing and sales” (“autonomous, self-driving, marketing automation”, BTW IMO workflow tech will play big-big role here!)
- “Marketers will not be replaced by AI and will be able to skip the boring stuff” (Whew! That’s a relief! ““Anything that seems rote or mechanical … it’s all going to go to AI”)
- “Algorithm development will become a commodity and data will become the key differentiator” (you can buy ML algorithms “off the shelf”, the difference will be the data fed to them)
- “The Link Graph is going to be replaced by the Engagement Graph” (“quality of content is determined by the number of people listening, interacting, getting engaged”)
What do all of the above have in common? You knew I’d get to it… Workflow! Or, more specifically, process-aware workflow technology, such as data and machine learning pipelines, modeling conversation as workflow, and orchestrating of cloud-based services. Please see my three-part HIMSS17 series on what I call the New Workflow Technologies.
- A guide to AI, machine learning and new workflow technologies at HIMSS17 Part 1: Machine learning and workflow
- A guide to AI, machine learning and new workflow technologies at HIMSS17 Part 2: Chatbots and workflow
- A guide to AI, machine learning and new workflow technologies at HIMSS17 Part 3: DevOps and workflow
OK! That’s a lot of think about. Let’s the early morning of an AI/ML savvy and empowered HIT marketing and PR professional….
6:00 AM I glance at hundreds of email subject headers that are just the tip of the iceberg of thousands of possibly relevant news, brand, and social media alerts. I say…
“OK Hitmike🤖 (get it? HIT-M(i)C(ke)!) Please summarize this morning’s incoming health IT and workflow alerts”
GOOD MORNING CHUCK. ONE MOMENT PLEASE. YOU HAVE 786 UNREAD ALERTS. 77 SPECIFICALLY MENTION “WORKFLOW” IN HEALTHCARE. 50 MORE MENTION WORDS TYPICALLY USED IN DISCUSSIONS OF WORKFLOW, SUCH AS PROCESS, ORCHESTRATION, OR TASK (BOTH SINGULAR AND PLURAL).
(Hitmike🤖’s holographic UI flickers into existence above my bed, and two hands gesture the scare quotes around “workflow”)
Thank you Hitmike🤖. Do any alerts involve past or current clients?
YES, 7 PAST AND 3 CURRENT CLIENTS.
Have I had any Twitter interactions with any of the others?
93 PERCENT ARE ON TWITTER. 52 PERCENT FOLLOW YOU. YOU FOLLOW 75 PERCENT. YOU HAVE HAD DM CONVERSATIONS WITH 20 PERCENT.
Hitmike🤖, what is the total number of alerts involving past or current clients, plus Twitter follows and DM conversations.
Hitmike🤖, please convert all 32 alerts to tweets and upload to Hootsuite and assign them draft status. Make sure you include Twitter handles. Schedule for times that optimize impressions and replies.
Please remind me to review and schedule after breakfast but before 9AM.
Hitmike🤖, today’s #HITSM tweet chat scheduled today during my dentist appointment. The subject is e-prescribing. Find all tweets about that and related subjects on my @wareFLO account.
Combine those tweets with #HITSM topics and create a one-time, one-use chatbot.
Configure @MrRIMP to attend the #HITSM and use the chatbot.
Immediately after the first #HITMC tweet asking who is participating, tweet the following on the #HITMC hashtag. UNFORTUNATELY @WAREFLO CANNOT PARTICIPATE IN THE #HITSM TODAY. CHUCK SENDS HIS REGARDS. LUCKILY I AM AVAILABLE.
THIS WILL BE DONE
Oh, have @MrRIMP favorite and retweet every tweet mentioning “workflow” or “workflows” during the tweetchat.
THIS WILL BE DONE
Hitmike🤖, any interesting health IT marketing automation news today?
YES. ONE PRESS RELEASE ONE BLOG POST.
Summarize press release.
THE RECENTLY HELD HEALTH IT MARKETING AND PR CONFERENCE ANNOUNCED RECORD INTEREST IN MACHINE LEARNING AND ARTIFICIAL INTELLIGENCE DRIVEN MARKETING AUTOMATION PLATFORMS.
Summarize blog post.
A BLOG POST HIGHLIGHTING THE PRESS RELEASE APPEARED YESTERDAY ON THE HEALTH IT MARKETING AND PR COMMUNITY WEBSITE.
Have any tweets from any accounts I follow mention either the press release or the blog post?
Please auto schedule a comment retweet contain the word “Cool” exclamation mark, an applause emoji, and relevant hashtags.
Thank you, Hitmike🤖! I am working on a project all day today researching the latest trends regarding use of workflow technology in marketing automation platforms. Please turn off all notifications except those potentially relevant to this project.
Here are the HITSM topics adapted to apply to healthcare IT marketing:
T1: What are the most promising applications of #machinelearning based #AI in health IT marketing today? #HITsm
T2: What challenges do health IT marketing organizations face in implementing #machinelearning technologies? #HITsm
T3: What political, cultural, or other factors drive adoption of #machinelearning or other #AI technologies in health IT marketing? #HITsm
T4: For orgs that have implemented, what’s the impact been (pos or neg) on health IT marketing lead generation and sales? #HITsm
T5: With so many options, what are some do’s & don’ts for health IT marketing orgs looking for a #machinelearning #AI partner? #HITsm
Bonus: Some say #CognitiveComputing is a buzz phrase & synonymous with #machinelearning or #MachineIntelligence Thoughts? #HITsm
I will see you there!
@wareFLO On Periscope!