Every year I search every website of every HIMSS conference exhibitor. I did the same for every AHIP exhibitor website (150+).
Specifically, I search for healthcare workflow and workflow technology related terms (process maps, customizable workflow, workflow engine, process orchestration, business process management, etc.). This search of workflow tech is occurring across almost every category of healthcare information management and IT. And compliance is one of the most prominent categories represented.
The following two-minute video lays out concisely the main advantages for BPM: adapting to, even exploiting, the absolute necessity of complying with a changing regulatory environment.
First of all, regulations change day-to-day, week-to-week. Many new regulatory concepts, especially in healthcare start out under specified. Any assumptions you make, and you have to make a lot, will likely have to change. Traditional, not process-aware application platforms have relatively frozen workflow and logic. But not modern BPM. Workflows and rules can be changed, without have to go back to programmers to make those changes in computer code.
Second of all, the regulatory compliance logic can be inserted directly into day-to-day workflows. So, instead of doing a bunch of work, say processing a pile of claims, and then running some of them through a compliance check, the regulatory logic is actually part of the workflow. This dramatically reduces duplication of effort and resources.
— Charles Webster MD (@wareFLO) March 25, 2015
- Reason 1: Health Insurance Is About Risk Management: Health Plans Need to Manage Process Risk Too
- Reason 2: Accelerate Development of Innovative Customer-Centric Mobile Health Plan Products
- Reason 3: Systematically Improve Customer Health Plan Member Engagement With New Products
- Reason 4: Integrate Clinical And Financial Health Plan Systems to Provide Unified View Of Data And Workflow
- Reason 5: Maximize Health Plan External and Internal Workflow And Process Transparency
- Reason 6: Enable Health Plan Workflow And Process Changes Necessary For Accountable Care
- Reason 7: Harness Social, Mobile, Analytics, Cloud-Enabled Health Insurance Application Development Platforms
- Reason 8: Bring Modern BPM’s Unique Value to Member, Provider, Medical, Benefits, and Claims Management
- Reason 9: Leverage Modern BPM for Health Plans in the Regulatory and Compliance Space
- Reason 10: Turbocharge Health Plan Operational Processes With Same BPM So Successfully Used In Other Industries