This week starts the Society for Health Systems’ Healthcare Systems Process Improvement Conference in Orlando, Florida. Its hashtag on Twitter is #SHS2017. From March 1 to March 3 the top minds thinking about improving healthcare workflow meet to present, learn, and network. As an Industrial Engineer (1985, @IllinoisISE) who went to medical school (@UChiPritzker), whenever I go to the HSPI conference, it feels like my natural home. In 2015 I gave the keynote on “wearable workflow”. This year I’m delighted to serve in the inaugural group of #SHS2017 Social Media Ambassadors. Having been a Social Media Ambassador for HIMSS for four years, I approached SHS and suggested the new SHS Social Media Ambassador program. BTW, I’m on Twitter at @wareFLO (a portmanteau of software and workflow), where I am variously known as Dr. Workflow, The King of All Workflow in Healthcare, or the Workflow Bear.
As #SHS2017 SMA my responsibilities include
- Participating in social media focused activities before, during and after #SHS2017.
- Shaping important dialogues leading up to and after #SHS2017.
- Linking to SHS social media outlets to grow SHS’s followership.
- Posting comments, pictures, videos, or questions in my posts (such as this).
- Using the #SHS2017 hashtag! You should too. Regardless of whether you are attending #SHS2017 or not!
Depending on where you hang out (me? Twitter!), please link to, join, and participate via the following SHS Social Media Outlets:
- Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/society_for_health_systems/
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/societyforhealthsystems/
- Twitter: https://twitter.com/SHSinfo
- LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/groups/867527
If you are interested in any of the following extraordinarily important healthcare topics, please tweet and/or follow tweets containing the #SHS2017 hashtag.
- Healthcare Process Improvement
- Healthcare Leadership and Change Management
- Healthcare Operations Research
- Healthcare Quality and Safety
- Healthcare Human Factors
I’ll also be introducing the #SHS2017 community to the other communities I frequent, including
- #HITsm (Health IT Social Media, tweetchat every Friday at 12PM EST, @TechGuy, http://www.emrandhipaa.com/category/hitsm/). @MrRIMP, a robot who lives in my pocket, recently hosted a #HITsm tweetchat!
- #HCDLR (Healthcare Leadership, tweetchat every Tuesday at 8:30PM EST, @Colin_Hung & @JoeBabaian, https://hcldr.wordpress.com/, tonight’s topic is Rare Diseases)
- #MEQAPI (Measurement, Evaluation, Quality Assurance, and Process Improvement, tweetchat every Thursday at 3PM EST, https://twitter.com/meqapi)
- #KareoChat (Every Thursday at Noon EST, blog, BTW I just hosted a tweetchat about #HIMSS17!)
- #AskAvaility (Every other Friday at 1PM EST, next tweetchat is 3/10 on ransomware, blog, I look forward to moderating an #AskAvaility tweetchat on workflow soon!)
- #IrishMed (Every Wednesday at 5PM EST, based in Ireland, but with global reach, founded by @drlfarrell, http://irishmed.wordpress.com)
- #HealthxPH (Every Saturday at 8AM EST, Emerging Technologies and Social Media in Healthcare, based in Philippines, but like #IrishMed, with global reach, http://healthxph.net, founders: @bonedoc @endocrine_witch @giasison @cebumd w/@helenvmadamba)
- #BPM (Business Process Management, no specific tweetchat, however I am an evangelist for workflow technology in healthcare. Find out more in my 5-part series on BPM in Healthcare.)
(Did I miss your tweetchat? Let me know!)
During #SHS2017, at 3PM EST on Thursday, occurs the weekly #MEQAPI tweetchat. Founded by @MLoxton, we’re holding a joint #MEQAPI/#SHS2017 tweetchat from 3PM to 4PM EST. A tweetchat is a flurry of tweets about related topics all using the same hashtag during a prior scheduled period of time. If you are also attending #SHS2017, please multitask! If you are not attending #SHS2017, monitor the #SHS2017 hashtag, and retweet the best and most interesting tweets to your followers.
Don’t forget to use BOTH the #MEQAPI and #SHS2017 hashtags in each and every tweet during the #SHS2017/#MEQAPI tweetchat! (I usually copy and past them from a conveniently located text editor open next to Twitter. On my phone, I created a macro automatically expanding from, say “sss” to “#SHS2017 #MEQAPI.)
T0a & T0b will be tweeted more than once during the tweetchat. They are intended to provide a means to bridge between #SHS2017 #MEQAPI virtual and physical world. Even if you are not attending #SHS2017, please browse #SHS2017 presentations and tweet about them!
Here are the #SHS2017 #MEQAPI tweetchat topics:
The following two topics apply at any time during the tweetchat…
- T0a: If you are attending a presentation at #SHS2017, please, please, please, live tweet (including photos of slides!) during entire tweetchat! #MEQAPI
- T0b: Looking forward/backward what #SHS2017 session did you enjoy/look forward to most? #MEQAPI
The following topics will be tweeted at 10-15 minute intervals during tweetchat…
- T1: Healthcare process improvement increasingly relies on software tools: your favorites? #MEQAPI #SHS2017
- T2: Is “process” different from “workflow”? If so, how? If not, why do people seem to insist on using both? #MEQAPI #SHS2017
- T3: Is Healthcare Management/Industrial Engineering” an obsolete phrase? If so, what should replace it? #MEQAPI #SHS2017
- T4: Health IT increasingly *IS* healthcare workflow. What HIT applications hold greatest promise to improve workflow? #MEQAPI #SHS2017
- T5: How can we bridge the chasm between process improvement & health IT creation & use? #MEQAPI #SHS2017
Many thanks to Matt Loxton (@MLoxton), founder of the Measurement, Evaluation, Quality Assurance, and Process Improvement (#MEQAPI) Thursday, 3PM EST tweetchat. Please come back! It’s every week at the same time!
@wareFLO On Periscope!