[This is the first in a series of blog posts about medical practice workflow, to be published during the #MGMA14 Annual Conference at Las Vegas, Nevada between Oct 26 & 29th.]
It’s so great to meet a kindred workflow soul, such as Vishal Gandhi of ClinicSpectrum! Vishal was educated as an Electrical Engineer. I have many degrees and the engineering degree’s been most valuable, by far. Vishal, like all engineers, applies the kind of “systems thinking” that’s frequently wished for in healthcare. He conceptually (and sometimes really!) takes a system apart. Understands all the component subsystems. Understands the workflows among these these components. And then puts them all back together, working faster, better, cheaper.
(The following workflow diagram is not Vishal’s Ideal Medical Practice Workflow Infographic. That appears in the last blog post in this series. But it is based on my schematic interpretation of his workflow infographic.)
Now, I’ve tried just about every possible way to explain workflow. I won’t list them here. But one thing I’ve never tried, is Infographics! So I’m delighted to mention here that I’m sort of acting as a sounding board to Vishal while he puts together what I think will be an unusual and valuable Ideal Medical Practice Workflow infographic and whitepaper. Vishal has created some incredible annotated graphical material. While the white paper will be forthcoming after the Medical Group Management Association conference, I’ve gotten his permission to leak some of the best bits here, in my blog devoted to EHR Workflow Management Systems and related technologies.
We’ll drill down into the component subsystems of Vishal’s Ideal Medical Practice Workflow. And then put them back together: faster, better, cheaper!
Here are the links to the upcoming posts. Some of them may not work yet, because the posts they link to haven’t been published yet. However, they’ll all be live by the end of the MGMA conference.
- Ideal Medical Practice Workflow: Vishal Gandhi of ClinicSpectrum Has An Infographic!
- Step 1 Appointment Call Received: Ideal Medical Practice Workflow
- Step 2 Back-end Eligibility Verification Team: Ideal Medical Practice Workflow
- Step 3 Front Desk Patient Check-in/out: Ideal Medical Practice Workflow
- Step 4 Patient Engagement By Clinical Assistants: Ideal Medical Practice Workflow
- Step 5 Physician Workflow: Ideal Medical Practice Workflow
- Step 6 Back-office And Billing Team: Ideal Medical Practice Workflow
- Step 7 Operations Team Reduces Costs: Ideal Medical Practice Workflow
- Step 8 Clinical Reminder Team: Ideal Medical Practice Workflow
- The Entire 8-Step Infographic! Ideal Medical Practice Workflow
In my increasingly infamous 10-part in-the-weeds health IT interview series, I usually combine all the questions and answers in one post. I update the post every couple hours during and health IT conference and tweet out links to anchors within the post. As we’re dealing with infographics here, each a 100K and a screenful high, I’ll be breaking this “interview” into 10 separate, but interlinked (Next, Back) blog posts.